Outback Region QLD
Nowhere else but Outback Queensland can you sleep under star-studded skies, bond with a bushman over a beer, dig for million-years-old dinosaur fossils and watch camels race against the clock.
Soak up the serenity
Get some dirt under nail and dust under foot and immerse yourself in life on the land for the ultimate outback adventure.
- Visit a working cattle or sheep station and try your hand at mustering, shearing or campdrafting.
- Fossick for gems from Quilpie to Cloncurry and you might find yourself some boulder opal, amethyst or gold.
- Time your trip with an outback event and see the region come to life in all its bronco bucking, yabby racing, bog snorkelling glory.
Dig a dino
Bone hunters, fossil fanatics and amateur paleontologists unite in Australia’s dinosaur capital.
- Dig up and dust off 20-million-year-old dinosaur bones travelling along the Dinosaur trail between Winton, Richmond and Hughenden.
- Follow three-toed footprints at the world’s best-preserved dinosaur stampede at World Heritage Listed Lark Quarry Conservation Park.
- Dive into the marine fossil museum in Richmond and spot the 10-metre prehistoric sea monster.
Sky’s the limit
Whether you arrive by train, plane or bus, you’ll have the best point of view if you simply look up.
- Watch a purple and orange-hued sunset over the sand dunes of the Simpson Desert.
- Climb into a swag and camp out under the moonlight on the banks of an Outback River.
- Gaze through a telescope at the clearest of starry skies at an outback observatory in Charleville.
Head north into the Gulf Savannah, wet a line and land yourself a wild barramundi
Area Information and Accommodation
Historic Building Winton Kroombit Tops NP Biloela Outback Landscape
Credit Tourism and Events QLD Credit Tourism and Events QLD Credit Tourism and Events QLD