Whyalla Flinders Ranges Region SA
Rich in heritage, the seaport town of Whyalla, located approximately 380kms south of the state’s capital – Adelaide.
Whyalla, originally identified as Hummock’s Hill was named by Matthew Flinders in March 1802. In 1901 workers from multinational mining, oil and gas company BHP Billiton (Broken Hill Proprietary Company) arrived in the area to build a tramway to the ore deposits at nearby Iron Knob, and so the ‘town’ was born.
The town remained a small settlement of cottages and was renamed as Whyalla in November 1919. Whyalla began to boom in 1937 and the population rose to approximately 33,000 with the construction of a blast furnace, harbour and a ship yard which was built to provide ships for the Royal Australian Navy. By the late 1970’s the shipyards had closed and the population began to decrease to its current 21000 residents.
Nowadays Whyalla is one of the largest regional centres in South Australia, there is plenty to see and do with Whyalla boasting over 300 days of sunshine each year and spectacular scenic outback views (such as from the Hummock Hill lookout), sporting facilities and fantastic boating facilities. The HMAS Whyalla in the Whyalla Maritime Museum is the main tourist attraction of the town.
Whyalla Pt Lowley Whyalla Maritime Museum