Location Wahgunyah,Victoria, 3687
Wahgunyah - Once the busiest little town upstream. When the rail link to Melbourne was provided in 1879 the town became the busiest upstream river port on the Murray. It boasted a quay, customs house and bond stores. The paddle steamers carried good to and from Echuca to overland transport to and from Melbourne. Some of the original vineyards and more recently-established wineries are close to Wahgunyah.
PLACES OF INTEREST :
John Foord Bridge At the bridge is a display featuring the Wahgunyah collection of illustrations of the Aboriginal artist Tommy McRae
Customs House Foord Street near the John Foord Bridge. This building was used as a customs house, for the collecting of excise on goods crossing the border between New South Wales and Victoria, until Federation in 1901. It has been restored and has a National Trust classification
Former Post Office (1863) Foorde Street is now a private dwelling. Post Office (1880) former Bank of Victoria, Foorde Street. The Savage Store (1861) Foorde Street. Originally built as the Wahgunyah Hotel, the building was once used as a Cobb & Co (Bevan Coach Line) booking office for a service that ran to Melbourne
The small Wahgunyah Pioneer Cemetery is off Distillery Road and contains the graves of John Foorde and his family. Carlile Cemetery, located further along Distillery Road, contains the graves of many of the early pioneers. It also contains many graves of Chinese pioneers of the gold rush days and well-preserved and maintained Chinese Burning Towers. (These towers were used by the remaining extended family to burn offerings to help the departed on their next journey).